Nov. 19, 2020 — As COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations of proceed to speed up within the U.S., the CDC on Thursday bluntly suggested People to not journey for the Thanksgiving vacation.
“Amid this crucial section, the CDC is recommending in opposition to journey through the Thanksgiving interval,” mentioned Henry Walke, MD, COVID-19 incident supervisor, on a name with reporters.
Walke mentioned all types of journey are dangerous.
“What we’re involved about is just not solely the precise mode of journey — whether or not it’s an airplane or bus or automobile — but in addition the transportation hubs we’re involved about, as properly.”
Standing in line to get on airplane, bus, or practice makes it tougher to maintain house between your self and different individuals.
With instances already climbing at alarming charges, CDC officers mentioned they had been involved that the vacations might additional drive up instances and deaths, significantly for older members of the family.
“The most secure method to have a good time Thanksgiving this 12 months is at dwelling with members of your family,” mentioned Erin Sauber-Schatz, PhD, head of the CDC’s Neighborhood Interventions and significant Populations Job Drive, in line with TheNew York Occasions.
The company launched up to date Thanksgiving steerage as properly, that strengthens its earlier warnings in regards to the upcoming vacation.
“Gatherings with household and associates who don’t stay with you possibly can enhance the probabilities of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu,” the steerage says. “Journey might enhance your probability of getting and spreading COVID-19. Suspending journey and staying house is one of the simplest ways to guard your self and others this 12 months.”
In the event you’re nonetheless contemplating touring or gathering with different individuals, the CDC suggests answering these questions first:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you’ll be visiting at elevated danger for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are instances excessive or growing in your group or your vacation spot? Verify the CDC’s COVID Information Tracker for the newest variety of instances.
- Are hospitals in your group or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19? To seek out out, examine state and native public well being division web sites.
- Does your own home or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers? Verify state and native necessities earlier than you journey.
- Through the 14 days earlier than your journey, have you ever or these you’re visiting had shut contact with individuals they don’t stay with?
- Do your plans embrace touring by bus, practice, or air, which could make staying 6 ft aside troublesome?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t stay with you?
In the event you answered “sure” to any of those questions, the CDC suggests making different plans: Keep dwelling, host a “digital” Thanksgiving, or postpone it till one other time.